YES IT TURBOTAX IS FREE.
The TurboTax Federal Free Edition is specifically for those taxpayers with basic tax returns. It can handle both 1040EZ federal tax returns and simple 1040A tax returns that don’t include any type of 1099-MISC income.
It does handle Earned Income Credit and Affordable Care Act credits and deductions. With this edition, you can prepare, file and print both your federal and state income tax returns.
You also can have your W-2 form automatically imported into your tax return, when available. In addition, you can use most of the online self-help tools, including the AnswerXchange service.
TurboTax makes it very easy for users to start with its renowned Federal Free Edition, and only upgrade to the paid version if they really need to.
The biggest advantage of the TurboTax Federal Free Edition is its Absolute Zero guarantee. If you’re filing a basic 1040A or 1040EZ form, you can file both your federal and state income tax returns for absolutely free, a service unmatched in the industry.
The biggest drawback to Federal Free Edition, which could cause some headaches, is that you can’t import a previous year’s tax returns, even if you filed with TurboTax.
Here’s what TurboTax Federal Free Edition has to offer:
- Absolute Zero guarantee, free federal and state tax filing for basic 1040A and 1040EZ forms.
- Step-by-step walkthrough of your tax year, including precise questions related to recent life changes.
- Multiple W-2 importing, useful for anyone with more than one job.
- Affordable Care Act forms.
- Access to TurboTax’s AnswerXchange and free live chat support.
TurboTax Federal Free Edition Cost:
- Federal: Free
- State: Free to $27.99